River Conservation and Fly Fishing Youth Camp
What is it?
The River Conservation and Fly Fishing Camp is a week long camp designed to educate 14 to 18 year old students on the importance of cold water conservation and provide hands-on fly fishing instruction. Approximately 20 students are selected each year based on their qualifications and a written essay on why they would like to attend the camp.
Camp classes include: Principles of Ecology, Hydrogeology, Aquatic Vertebrate and Invertebrate Sampling, Hydrology, Trout Behavior, Trout Stream Entomology, The Biology of Pollution, Acid Deposition, and Politics of Conservation and Human Effects on the Rocky Mountain.
In addition, the camp will include hands-on instruction on Fly Tying, Fly Casting, Stream-side Ethics, Angling Literature, Stream-side Botany, Wader Safety and Survival, and The Evolution of an
Angler. The campers will also participate in a watershed project to repair habitat in a nearby stream.
When is it?
This year’s camp will be held from Sunday, June 9th to Saturday, June 15th.
Where is it?
The camp will take place at the Silent Spring Resort in Gunnison, CO.
Interested in becoming a Youth Camper?
Are you between the ages of 14-18 and would like apply? Complete the application below.
The camp is limited to 20 selected qualified students, ages 14 to 18. First time camp applicants receive preference. The camp selection committee makes the selections based upon the candidates’ qualifications and essay.
Cost: $50 registration fee plus $450 camp tuition. Many Trout Unlimited chapters provide financial aid, so please reach out to your local chapter representative. Registration fee will be charged after camper application is accepted.
Deadline: Applications must be received by April 15, 2019
Interested in becoming a Youth Counselor?
There are two Youth Counselor positions available for this year’s youth camp and we encourage you to apply! Competition for Youth Counselors is strong and only a few counselors will be chosen. Youth Camp staff selects counselors based on these criteria below as well as all other applicable experiences, service work and Trout Unlimited involvement.
• Be at least 19 years of age*
• Have attended a Trout Unlimited Youth Camp*
• Have demonstrated proficiency in Fly Fishing, conservation and other topics covered during camp
• Have previously demonstrated leadership qualities and a high level of maturity
• Be available to attend the entire camp; Youth Counselors are expected to arrive on June 8, 2019 and stay the entire week through June 15, 2019
• Understand that youth counselors are only allowed to fish with special permission from camp staff; you are expected to aid other campers in learning about river conservation and the sport of fly fishing
• Assist adult counselors and flight leaders with daily activities, coaching and instruction
• Complete the application below
*Exceptions are allowed based on camp staff recommendation, character and demonstrated leadership skills
Interested in other volunteer opportunities?
Colorado Trout Unlimited is also looking for persons interested in volunteering as a Full Time Camp Counselor or a Day Camp Counselor — if you are interested, please fill out the form and someone will contact you shortly.