Are you a college student home for the summer and looking for a PAID Internship working for one of the top conservation organizations in the country? Well, you are in luck!! The Eagle Valley chapter is looking to bring on a summer intern to help them with outreach. Read the description below and apply to Brian Bloess at email@example.com. Position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is found.
Employer: Colorado Trout Unlimited (CTU)
Position: Communications Intern
Office Location: Denver
Supervisor – Brian Bloess, Chapter President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor – Rick Messmer, email@example.com
Trout Unlimited is Colorado’s leading fisheries conservation organization with a mission to conserve, protect, and restore coldwater streams and their watersheds. Eagle Valley Trout Unlimited (EVTU Chapter #102) is based in the Vail area with a membership base of over 180 current members. EVTU’s focus is on effective grassroots advocacy for river conservation, coupled with on-the-ground volunteer efforts that directly contribute to stream habitat improvement and wild and native trout restoration.
The Communications Intern will work with Eagle Valley Trout Unlimited to increase the chapter’s marketing and outreach efforts with respect to our online presence, membership/recruitment, youth education, and event planning/fundraising.
This intern will work with chapter members, volunteers, and partners, and will help develop the chapter’s marketing project plans and materials. EVTU has a website at www.eaglevalley.tu.org
That will need to be updated on a regular basis with information about fundraising, local conservation efforts, and volunteer opportunities. Interns will be able to have work published on this site. This position will provide the intern with exposure to professional development opportunities, connections with other conservation non-profits, and exposure to state and federal agencies such as the BLM, and DOW. The intern will also attend EVTU chapter meetings to learn more about chapter operations and project planning.
This is a paid internship opportunity. The time requirement is 100 hours, consisting of 10 to 20 hours of work per week depending on the academic credit agreement with your college. The duration of the internship shall not exceed six months.
Intern will work with EVTU to assist with chapter marketing objectives and projects. Some of these projects include the following in order of priority:
- Implement the CTU SALSA membership database for EVTU, and work with the EVTU webmaster to link to the EVTU website as appropriate.
- Assist with marketing and promotion of the Upper Colorado Fall Classic fly fishing event, the main EVTU fundraising event held each September.
- Assist with recruitment of sponsors and donors for UCFC, and explore opportunities to increase UCFC fundraising efforts.
- Develop strategies to increase outreach to youth, increase youth education efforts, and serve as liaison to the World Fly Fishing Championships coming to Vail in September.
- Help promote selected projects, events, volunteer opportunities and more through media, local newspapers, online outlets, and the EVTU website.
- Write an article for the EVTU website and for list serve distribution to the EVTU membership database.
Intern will participate in other areas of work as necessary. Attending EVTU chapter meetings shall be required. Intern will develop relationships with other organizations, local and state agencies, and other groups as needed, and will represent the TU mission in all partnerships developed.
- Must currently be enrolled at a higher education institution.
- Must be currently enrolled in one of the following areas of study:
- Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Journalism, Communications, Business Management, Ecology, Water Studies, Wildlife or Fisheries Management or closely related area of study that have a focus on conservation or communications.
- Experience with fly fishing, conservation, and knowledge of the local watershed, are a plus.
Minimal travel will be required for this position. Intern must have their own form of transportation and a valid driver’s license.
This is a paid internship opportunity. Colorado Trout Unlimited (CTU) will pay $600 after successful completion of the first half of the internship (50 hours), and will pay an additional $600 after successful completion of the full internship program (100 hours). (EVTU will reimburse CTU for all pay related to the internship.) This pay will be provided to the intern based on the timeliness and quality of the work performed, which will be reviewed and approved by the designated supervisors at EVTU. This pay is considered a bonus in addition to college credit. Pay will only be provided if timeliness and quality objectives are met, which will be at the sole discretion of EVTU.
CTU will work with your college or university to provide academic credit for the internship placement.
Travel will be reimbursed based on mileage.
To apply: Please send letter of interest, resume, and transcript to Brian Bloess at firstname.lastname@example.org.