Trout In the Classroom
Trout in the Classroom (TIC) is a conservation-oriented, environmental education program for middle and high school students. Through the school year, students:
- Raise trout from eggs to fry;
- Monitor tank water quality;
- Engage in stream habitat study;
- Learn to appreciate water resources;
- Begin to foster a conservation ethic; and
- Grow to understand ecosystems.
Most programs end the year by releasing their trout in a state-approved stream near the school or within a nearby watershed.
During the year each teacher tailors the program to fit his or her curricular needs. Therefore, each program is unique. TIC has interdisciplinary applications in science, social studies, mathematics, language arts, fine arts and physical education.
Participating CO Schools for 2016-2017
Centaurus High School- Lafayette, CO
Platte Valley Elementary- Kersey, CO
Academey High School- Thornton, CO
Bookcliff Middle School- Grand Junction, CO